Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Packing


As a child, I was worried about whether my paper dolls and stickers made it into the suitcase each time my family made a trip to or from Bangladesh.  Now as an adult, I'm frantically making my packing list for the next few years of my life in a village home in southern Nigeria.  My dolls have been replaced by Greek lexicons, grammars, and malaria medication.  When everything is so readily available here in the United States, it is difficult to think of my potential "needs."  I just bought a year's supply of contacts, many bottles of contact solution, and a spare pair of glasses.  My Christmas presents were mostly kitchen supplies.  I was also given two solar ovens and some medical supplies!  I still have to purchase a motorcycle helmet and a water filter.  The difficult part is this:  How am I going to pack everything into three suitcases that can only be fifty pounds each!  Please pray for me that I will know how to pack wisely.


3 comments:

  1. well, here's something that doesn't take up any space... know that you take with you, the love, support and prayers of people all over the place. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, it is better to pack what you need in those suitcases and pay overage charges if they're too heavy. Overage charges are usually less costly and more reliable than shipping things to yourself once you're there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your advise. I am nervous to see how much I have. I am trying to pack as little as possible. Did you pack books in your suitcases?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails