Monday, December 01, 2008

Violence in Nigeria

If you've been paying attention to the news, you've probably heard about the riots in Jos, Nigeria due to local election results. 

"Soldiers recently wrested control of the streets from armed Christian and Muslim gangs that had roamed the city, in the worst religious violence Nigeria has seen in four years." -NY TIMES

I have co-workers living in this city, and it is a city I will be visiting often while in Nigeria.  Please pray for peace there and for the entire country.  The country is divided religiously between Muslims and Christians (and animists).  Several hundred have been slaughtered by both Muslims and Christians.  Homes, churches, and mosques have been burned.  Thousands are seeking refuge. 


Some have asked me how this affects my upcoming assignment.

I don't know yet.

Please pray that I will be able to leave in January for my first term.  Please pray for the nationals and expats working to make the Scriptures available in the languages of the people.  There are over 5-600 languages there.  Also pray for the Nigerian people who have suffered greatly from these riots and from the unrest in the south due to oil.

 

1 comment:

  1. we are praying for you. love you. call me if you want to talk. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails