Saturday, August 13, 2005

the terms of christian surrender: unconditional and lifetime

"I have been before God, and have given myself, all that I am and have, to God; so that I am not, in any respect, my own ... I have given myself clear away, and have not retained any thing as my own." -Jonathan Edwards

"There can be no peace until you are willing to accept My (God's) terms-unconditional surrender ... One who demands and deserves our wholehearted allegiance ... Through an internal work of the Spirit and the grace of God, our willful, rebellious hearts were conquered and we were each given a new heart-a heart to love God and to obey and follow Christ as our Captain and sovereign Lord ... Christian surrender means that we come to Him on His terms ... The terms of our surrender to the Lord Jesus are non-negotiable and unconditional ... 'I surrender all' ... Christian surrender brings us what we now see is beauty, life, joy, and true good ... I had little comprehension of the implications of full surrender. I had no idea what God would ask of me down the road. What I did know was that Jesus is Lord, that my life belonged to Him, and that to surrender myself completely to One who possessed infinite wisdom, love, and power was the only course that made any sense. With all my heart, I knew that I wanted to follow Christ-whatever that might mean, whatever it might require, and wherever it might lead me ... 'Here's a blank piece of paper. I want you to sign your name on the bottom line, hand it back to Me, and let Me fill in the details. Why? Because I am God; because I have bought you; because I am trustworthy; because you know how much I love you; because you live for My glory and not you own independent, self-promoting pleasure.'"
[-Nancy Leigh DeMoss "Surrender: The Heart God Controls"]

I am no longer my own, but thine.
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed by thee or laid aside for thee,
Exalted for thee or brought low by thee.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
Thou art mine, and I am thine. So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth,
Let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.
--John Wesley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails