Sunday, August 10, 2008

Things to do when you're 22

What are you "supposed" to do when you're 22?  I just had my birthday.  I don't like birthdays.  I know it's crazy, but they make me cry most of the time.  I think something like this:  "Oh no!  Another year has gone by.  What have I done?"  So I decided to go through a couple of old journals from the past year and share a few things I learned from JUST the first month of being 21.

August 6, 2007 -- My 21st Birthday

August 7 --- I took a phonology test that morning, and I learned that linguistics can be unbelievably difficult.  I actually wrote out the prayer, "I am yours, save me!"  If you have seen the movie Luther, you'll understand the desperation and desire one can have to surrender everything to the Lord... including abilities or lack of... to give Him all the glory.

August 8 --- I wrote out Ecclesiastes 7:23-25.

August 12 --- I heard a friend who was on furlough speak about Christ's example of humility from Ph. 2:1-11.  "The #1 killer of unity is pride!"

August 15 --- Don't compromise, but be willing to.  Learn the value of enjoying life.  I wrote out Eccl. 8:15-17; 11:5.

August 19 --- "Trust & Obey" is a song that went through my head nearly every day that summer.

August 24 --- Someone said this on the radio while I was driving:

"What we know not, teach us.  What we have not, grant us.  What we are not, make us."

August 30 ---  "Lord, help me to keep my eyes focused on you and my motivation Jesus.  I am struggling with various emotions and desires.  I am so uncertain about Africa...probably because I have never been there.  I don't know what to think.  I am so often motivated by love and it's so hard to love something that I don't know anything about.  Sure I'm motivated enough by people... God loves them.  I can very easily love them.  They need Jesus... O Lord, it's yours.  All of it!  Where should I go?  To whom shall I go?  Why should I go?  What should I do?"

September 1 --- "Blessed is the man whom God correct; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty."

"The only way your powers can become great is by exerting them outside the circle of your own narrow, special, selfish interests.  And that is the reason of Christianity.  Christ came into the world to save others, not to save himself; and no man is a true Christian who does not think constantly of how he can lift his brother, how he can assist his friend, how he can enlighten mankind, how he can make virtue the rule of conduct in the circle in which he live."  --President W. Wilson (1914)

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails