Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Vince Lombardi


Probably the greatest football coach in all history, Vince Lombardi (1913-1970) expected dedication and effort and reaped the rewards. He has been honored since in many ways. he Super Bowl trophy was even renamed the Vince Lombardi Trophy!

Although I'm not interested in becoming a hardcore football fan, there are some lessons that I'm learning from Lombardi when I apply his approach to football to my approach to Christianity...

He says "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing." His single-minded devotion is a pretty amazing testimony of the focus a human being is able to have. What if I put the same effort toward my faith and toward evangelizing? The quote that got me interested about him is this:

"Build for your team a feeling of oneness, of dependence upon one another, and of strength to be derived by unity." - Vince Lombardi

Hello! Isn't that applicable? As the Church, the body of Christ, we should recognize our oneness and be intentional about building it and choosing to depend upon one another.

Another cool point... his vision passed through the generations and his grandson Joe is the New Orleans Saints quarterbacks coach. Neat, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails